Ghana Health Nest

  • News
  • Public Health
  • Big Pharma
  • Discover
  • Lifestyle
  • Multimedia
Reading: US CDC Raises Ebola Outbreak Response to Highest Level
Support

Ghana Health Nest

Support
Search
  • News
  • Public Health
  • Big Pharma
  • Discover
  • Lifestyle
  • Multimedia
©2024 Vessel Media. All Rights Reserved.

US CDC Raises Ebola Outbreak Response to Highest Level

Kobby Blay
By Kobby Blay - Health Editor Published July 1, 2026
Share
3 Min Read

The U.S. CDC ⁠raised ⁠its response to the Ebola ⁠outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo to its highest level on ​Friday, but said the risk of the disease spreading in the United States remained low.

The move, reserved ‌for the most severe health crises, ‌signals growing concern over the rare strain’s rapid spread.

The outbreak of the Bundibugyo strain of ⁠Ebola has ⁠infected over 1,200 people in Congo, including 321 deaths, and 20 cases ​in neighboring Uganda, reaching the highest first-month total of any episode of the disease, the World Health Organization said this week.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention raised its emergency activation to Level 1, ​its most severe designation, which is reserved for critical emergencies and assigns the largest ⁠number of ⁠staff possible to work ⁠the response.

- Advertisement -

Previous ​Level 1 responses include Hurricane Katrina in 2005, the 2009-2010 swine flu outbreak, the 2014-2016 ​Ebola outbreak in West Africa, ⁠and the 2016-2017 Zika virus outbreak.

The CDC has deployed 19 staff members overseas so far to assist its country teams with the response on the ground, Dr. Satish Pillai, the incident manager for the CDC’s Ebola response, said in a briefing.

They are assisting over 125 people already ⁠on the ground as part of the CDC’s Congo and Uganda country offices, and ⁠the health ministries in both countries with data analysis, exit screenings at airports, laboratory support, and training, he said.

The CDC is also providing financial resources to partners on the ground and has trained 25 local field epidemiologists who can operate in areas that its staff cannot access, Pillai said.

The agency said last week it would make available $107 million in emergency funding to strengthen its response efforts.

- Advertisement -

The White House is seeking more than $1.4 billion in new funds from Congress to address the widening ⁠outbreak, including $800 million for a quarantine center in Kenya for Americans exposed to the virus, a Trump administration official told Reuters on Thursday.

The U.S. is sending doses of an experimental Ebola treatment to Africa and preparing to deploy 2,500 diagnostic tests to ​help contain the outbreak, health officials said on Friday.

(Source: www.usnews.com)

- Advertisement -

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print
By Kobby Blay Health Editor
Follow:
Kobby Blay is the managing health editor at Ghana Health Nest. He is a Professional Mental Health Nurse, a passionate Health Communications & Advocacy practitioner, a multiple award-winning Health Blogger, also known for his impactful work as a Social documentary Photographer. Kelvin is an alumni of the prestigious IVLP (Global Health) and a 2024 IVLP Impact Awardee for Combatting Health Misinformation/Disinformation
Previous Article Ebola WHO and Africa CDC Africa CDC, WHO Launch US$518 Million Continental Plan to Combat Bundibugyo Ebola Outbreak
Next Article Clinical Trials Ebola Dr Congo WHO Launches Landmark Clinical Trial to Test First Potential Treatments for Bundibugyo Ebola in DR Congo

HOT NEWS

Health News

The Nurse Who Came To Efua

August 18, 2026

You Might Also Like

Health News

The Nurse Who Came To Efua

August 18, 2026
Ghana's NHIS Reaches 70% Universal Health Coverage, NHIA CEO, Dr Victor Asare Bampoe
Health News

Ghana’s NHIS Reaches 70% Universal Health Coverage

July 11, 2026
Clinical Trials Ebola Dr Congo
Pharma & Innovation

WHO Launches Landmark Clinical Trial to Test First Potential Treatments for Bundibugyo Ebola in DR Congo

July 11, 2026
Ebola WHO and Africa CDC
Health News

Africa CDC, WHO Launch US$518 Million Continental Plan to Combat Bundibugyo Ebola Outbreak

July 11, 2026

Ghana Health Nest

Your trusted source for health news, tips, and wellness resources in Ghana.

About

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise with us
  • Sitemap

Legal

  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Policy

Follow us

Facebook Twitter Instagram Rss

©2026 Vessel Media. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?